Bracing, biting, and brutally beautiful, whiskey shines like liquid gold on any bar shelf. This spirit pleases palates in classic cocktails and modern twists, delighting even the most discerning taste buds. But what happens when you throw a blender into the mix?
If you’re looking for a fun, refreshing twist on the whiskey cocktail, look no further than the whiskey slush.
The whiskey slush is a concoction that’s perfect for an evening on the porch or an afternoon by the pool. It traditionally follows the general recipe of a whiskey sour (with the addition of sweetened black tea) and is made in large batches and frozen overnight.1 When made with bourbon whiskey, it’s also known as a bourbon slush.
If you’re craving one right now (we know we are), worry not—we’ve crafted three convenient spins on the classic whiskey slush recipe that you can make in merely minutes using SLIQ whiskey ice pops.
Also, if you’re interested in learning how whiskey is made, head on over to our blog where we’ve written all about it!
First, Grab The Most Important Ingredient: SLIQ’s Whiskey Pops
These easy-peasy frozen cocktail recipes all share a special ingredient. You’ve probably seen SLIQ’s Frozen Cocktail Pops at a recent picnic, tailgate, or innertube river party. They’re the perfect party companion, and they’re also perfect for incorporating into frozen cocktails.
We’ve designed three new flavors for our fellow-whiskey lovers:
While they can definitely be enjoyed solo, the beauty of these pops is in their cocktail versatility.
3 Sensational Whiskey Slush Recipes
Whether you’re a fan of classic cola cocktails or hanker for the bite of a spirit-forward sip, you’ll find a new favorite in our favorite whiskey slush recipes.
1. Cherry Cola Whiskey Slush
How about some fruity whiskey drinks? Cherry cola brings to mind ball games, darkened movie theaters, and teenage dreams. Distill all that youthful verve and give it a grown-up kick with a cherry-cola-flavored whiskey slush.
You’ll need the following ingredients for this 2-serving slush cocktail recipe:
- About eight ounces of your favorite cherry cola
- A handful of ice
- Two to four SLIQ Spirited Ice Cola Whiskey Pops
- Maraschino cherries
- Combine everything but the cherries in a blender. SLIQ Cocktail Pops has an ABV content of eight percent—use just two pops for a single serving of alcohol per drink. You can adjust the number of pops added depending upon your personal tastes.
- Blend. Add more ice if needed, then blend again. Serve the cocktails in soda bottle glasses and garnish with a maraschino cherry.
Whiskey Tip: You can pre-freeze the cherry cola in an ice tray to achieve an even icier slush.
2. Sour Apple Whiskey Slush
If you’ve ever wanted to sip the flavors of autumn in a frosty glass, this might just be your new signature drink. Blended together, apple-sweetness and the kick of whiskey create a distinctly fall vibe perfect for Halloween parties or chilly fall nights by the fire.
Make sure the following ingredients are ready for cocktail action:
- About eight ounces of apple cider
- A handful of ice
- Three ounces of lemon juice (or lemonade concentrate)
- Honey or simple syrup, to taste
- Two to four SLIQ Spirited Ice Apple Whiskey Pops
- Combine all the ingredients into a blender.
- Blend well, adding more ice if needed. Adjust the number of cocktail pops and the amount of sweetening agent to your desired taste and alcohol level.
- Serve in a mason jar.
Whiskey Tip: If you’re looking to wow your fellow whiskey-enthusiasts with a cocktail worthy of the ‘gram, break out your best garnish game with an apple slice or a twist of lemon. If you’ve got a handheld culinary blowtorch (and haven’t had anything to drink yet), try igniting a cinnamon stick, blowing out the flame, and use the cinnamon as a garnish. The smoldering stick will add a little smoky spice to this icy drink.
3. Ginger Old-Fashioned Slush
Unlike an old-fashioned over ice, there’s no need to make a simple syrup or buy whole fruit before preparing this drink. Orange juice concentrate adds easy flavor and sweetness to this slush recipe, with bitters and SLIQ’s ginger flavored Cocktail Pops providing the kick.
To yield about two servings of slush, you’ll need:
- Two ounces of thawed orange juice concentrate
- Two ounces of lemon juice or lime juice
- Two ounces of water
- A handful of ice
- Two to four SLIQ Spirited Ice Ginger Whiskey Pops
- A few dashes of bitters
- Candied or fresh shaved ginger
Now let’s do this old fashioned a new-fashioned way:
- Combine everything apart from the ginger in a blender.
- Adjust the number of alcohol ice pops according to your personal desired alcohol content and taste.
- Serve in a tall highball glass and garnish with either candied or fresh shaved ginger on top.
Serve Up Something Unexpected with SLIQ
Whether you sip it neat, on the rocks, or blended into a frosty perfection, whiskey is certainly in a league of its own. With the help of SLIQ’s tasty new whiskey ice pops, you’ll be able to make any moment a whiskey moment, whether you’re playing mixologist at a black-tie house party or concocting something delectable by the campfire.
Premium flavor, portable convenience, and plenty of fun—seize the title of “life of the party” by bringing a cooler of SLIQ Frozen Cocktail Pops to your next gathering.
- Southern Living. Whiskey Sour Slush. https://www.southernliving.com/recipes/whiskey-sour-slush-recipe